Don't Let the Cold Bite: Winter Layering Tricks to Keep You Toasty
This morning started off with frosted windows and glistening snow. The perfect weather to talk about layering your outfits. When it comes to winter layering, it's all about staying warm during frostbite temperatures. But how do you know what to wear and how to layer it all together? Don’t fret, follow our step-by-step guide to building the perfect winter outfit.
Winter Layering Done Right
- The dryer (base layer): This is the layer that will be touching your skin so it should be a moisture-wicking material to keep your dry and cozy. Your favorite leggings come into place here, as well as thermal tops and long johns. Look for fabrics such as polyester, wool or nylon.
- The warmer (mid-layer): Here is about adding warmth to your outfit. Layer up with a sweater or a fleece jacket for insulation and staying warm.
- The protector (outer layer): For this layer we want to think about how to protect ourselves from wind and rain. Think about a coat, jacket or parka. Opt for long coats for more coverage.
Tips to Layer up Correctly
- Accessorize: Keep your head, hands and neck by adding a scarf, gloves, and a hat.
- Mix and match: Winter layering doesn’t have to be boring. Try different textures, patterns and colors to create a unique and stylish look.
- Proportion is key: When layering, pay attention to the proportions of each layer. Opt for thinner fabrics when possible. Avoid wearing too many bulky layers, as this can make you appear larger than you are.
- Layer with function in mind: Ask yourself, where am I going? And dress according to the event. If you are going to be outside in the snow, you'll need a different outfit than if you're going to be inside all day.
- Options are endless: Layer up with different types of clothing: You can layer a dress over pants, a shirt over a t-shirt, or a sweater over a blouse. Mixing and matching different types of clothing can create an interesting look.
- Weight is important (fabric weight): when layering for winter try wearing lighter fabrics under heavier ones. For example, a silk blouse could be layered under a wool sweater. You’ll still be warm, but comfortably.
- Be playful, never boring: Have fun with fashion and express your personal style. Never fever trying new combinations and being yourself!
In conclusion, winter layering does not have to be scary- it should be fun! Experimenting with fashion and layering can create the perfect winter outfit. To layer outfits for winter, start with a moisture-wicking base layer, add insulation with a mid-layer, finish with an outer layer for protection. Finish off your outfit with accessories, mix and matching textures, and considering proportions.
There you have it. Be sure to check out our sweaters and coats collections you can tackle the cold like a polar bear.
Follow us on Instagram and Facebook @fashiononsavanna for more fashion tips!